Friday, September 19, 2008

If this is September, what's JANUARY like???

So.....YES, I did have a strep infection. Took until Thursday afternoon to figure this out. The strain of strep is called "group C" and is not commonly diagnosed. Just to give you some idea about this form of strep: It kills MOOSE in the wild. It also causes an illness in horses called "strangles" and is often FATAL!!! GRREEEEAAAAT! I am currently just finishing up my THIRD round of antibiotics. Yes, third. It took that many tries to find one that would kill this organism.

I finally got back to work on Tuesday. That very morning, the firstborn wakes up with a 103 degree fever! Will this never end??? She's been off school for four days now! I took her to the doctor late Tuesday afternoon, told him my whole sordid tale, and he sent us on our way with the whole "it's viral" crap! Friday morning, and she's still got a 103 degree temperature, and tonsils that look like she storing walnuts for winter. So.....back to the pediatrician, and lo and behold, NOW we're going to test for strep! (Who'da thunk it???) Just TWO doses of amoxicillin, and she a-febrile, and off the couch! Call me crazy, but given the nature of my illness last week, couldn't we have saved this child three days of suffering and just done the strep culture on Tuesday? Plus, TWO $20.00 office visit co-pays!!! We won't find out what the culture shows until Monday, but I have my money on Strep Group C!

We have not had even one week without illness since school started. If things are this bad in September, what's it going to be like in January, when the REAL cold and flu season starts? HELP!

2 comments:

Bea said...

Boy am I glad I am not out in the public anymore. I worked in Peds for awhile early in my career. I almost died until I built up an immunity to "kid diseases." Glad you are feeling better. Hard to do the healthy food thing when you are sick ain't it. Take care.

Nory Roth said...

Thanks Bea! It sure is hard to eat healthy when you are just trying to stay ahead of the next fire! It's also much easier to do take-out at the end of an exhausting day.