Monday, July 7, 2008

Bricks without straw.....

Okay, so here's the thing.....How is it possible to be eating a nearly vegan diet, consuming close to a gallon of fluid every day, and STILL be constipated?!?!?!? I can understand hormonal issues surrounding the menstrual cycle, and I can understand having issues with exercising in the heat. But my Lord, what am I doing wrong??? My colon is taking everything I eat, and turning it into BRICKS!!!

And it's not because of too much bread or cereal. I've been averaging ONE slice of 100% whole wheat bread a day, and MAYBE one ounce of shredded wheat cereal three times a WEEK!

The bulk of my diet has been fruit and brown rice. For every 3/4 cup of rice, I'm having two pieces of fruit. I also try to vary my diet by "eating the rainbow", which means changing up the mix every day. Now that I've added vegetables, I'm doing the same "rainbow" thing with the veg. as well. It all seems so healthful and balanced. But my body is in full-scale revolt!

I fought back last night, and took some senna. That stuff can be a little brutal if you're really backed-up. But desperate times call for desperate measures!

Given that I've been averaging around 1,000 calories a day, it makes absolutely NO sense that my weight should be up by 5 pounds this morning. Now, some of that is definitely water weight because I had Chinese food yesterday (which was completely off-program because of all the sodium, and not because I ate anything that was nutritionally insane). After breakfast, I got my answer -- the senna is doing a right fine "housecleaning" and I wouldn't be surprised if all of this excess weight vaporizes by tomorrow.

Going forward, my major concern is to NOT get hooked on senna as a way of keeping my poor beleaguered rectum from splitting apart. But really, let's be honest here, if that's what it takes until my body gets accustomed to eating this way, I'll do it!!! Sorry if this post was TMI, but that's what's consuming my mind today!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I am so glad you talked about this. I must be uptight in my colon because I battle with this often. I eat all bran extra fiber, daily, often and more than one serving. I think I compact everything and turn it to stone. It may be TMI but. for those of us that suffer it is good to hear we are not alone!! I think it could be worse when I go through stressful times. But the fiber for me is crucial. And it has to be extreme fiber. In high doses... It effects my weight loss as well. Also, Chinese definately ups the water retention. Most of us are in agreement on that one..Glad you are getting relief. I agree Desperate times call for desperate measures. One of my favorite sayings!! Thanks again!!