Tuesday, July 8, 2008

So, Punk, do you feel lucky???

This is a question I have been asking myself ever since I downloaded the package from Diet Power. Based on many factors including weight, age, and activity level, the program determines a "food budget" for each day that you are on a weight loss plan. They guarantee, that if you follow the program, log each and every food you eat, and stay within your food budget, you WILL meet your goal within a few days of your target date.

I have never attempted anything this detailed before, but I am having a very hard time with "excess" budget calories earned by exercise. The program really wants you to eat your full budget every day. And if you exercise a lot, you earn a lot of extra "food budget" calories for the day. Which means you can eat more -- yippee!

The main thought is that you must eat in order to lose (go figure), or your body will think it is starving and put your metabolism into slo-mo. (If my colon is any indication, I'm already there, baby!) My initial response to budget calories earned through exercise is a big woo-hoo, I'll just lose faster!!! But no!!! Gotta eat to lose -- MAJOR paradigm shift for me here!

Only, I don't trust it just yet, and I have a specific goal for the end of this summer break. I WANT to be at, or below the "big EVIL number" (read: 200 large). Just how long do I futz with this new program before I decide that it doesn't have a clue WHAT my basal metabolic rate is? And that it is probably overestimating how many calories I am burning through exercise.

I will say that I have been very forthright about my portions and calorie counts. It is hurting nobody but me if I don't record ALL of my intake every day. This detailed accounting of both diet and exercise, combined with daily weigh-ins determines your daily food budget. I'm just afraid that they are giving me just enough rope to hang myself! Plus, the fluid ups and downs are driving me batty. Add the constipation, and it's like a three ring circus!

Been posting a LOT lately, but it helps to see all of this angst in print. Shows what's going on inside my over-active head. You know, racing thoughts and all that......

1 comment:

Terry said...

Diet Power will do for you exactly what it says. We are a science-based program backed by 20 years of research and testing. We don't make claims we can't support -- We're Not That Kind of Company(TM). I know you've been reading and hearing hype and quackery from other weight-loss programs -- it comes with the territory -- but Diet Power is not what you are used to. It works. If you have questions about it, please contact me personally at tdunkle@dietpower.com

Terry Dunkle
Diet Power founder and chairman